the scorpion and the frog...

Friday, January 9, 2009

have you ever heard the tale of the scorpion and the frog?

i've been ridiculously sick this week, and when i wasn't trying to manage through a day of work, i've been laying on the couch with my cats (which they appreciate after having been gone so long over the holidays) watching dvd's of the gilmore girls (some of you may know this is my all-time favorite tv show), this episode came on and when i heard this story again it hit me.

this is my family. well, my mother and my older sister. they are the scorpions.

i am the frog...


EMILY: Lorelai, stop this. I know you're upset. I know you hate us, but -

LORELAI: I don't hate you. Why would I hate you?

EMILY: Well, because we - because you thought we -

LORELAI: You were just being you. You couldn't help it.

EMILY: What are you talking about?

LORELAI: The scorpion and the frog. It's an old story. The scorpion says to the frog, "Hey, frog. Give me a lift to the other side of the pond." Frog says, "No way. You'll sting me and I'll die." Scorpion says, "Will not! 'Cause then we'd both drown." Frog says "Cool." So... scorpion gets on the frog's back, and frog makes it to the middle of the pond, and the scorpion stings him. As the frog is going down, he says, "Why would you do that? Now we'll both die." Scorpion says, "Sorry, it's just my nature."

[She points to herself] Frog. [She points to them.] Scorpion.

EMILY: I always thought it was a turtle.

LORELAI: Whatever it was. You guys couldn't help it.

0 random comments: